Friday, April 21, 2017

Multi Color 3D Printer with single hotend

For the last few weeks I have being busy making the multi filament/color/material 3D printing works. After numerous experiment and test, I finally focus on the Printed Junction connector method.

Several design of the Hotend junction connector that has being tested in making this setup work. I will like to share with all about the design of this junction connector in detail here.

Summary of the Hotend Junction connector;


Version 1.0 -
The Y junction works well the 1st time, but the PTFE tube was not easily removed when there is problem with the filament. While I was doing the 1st few test, most of the time was spent fighting with the tube and filament. I decided to call a stop and work on the PTFE tube catch.



Version 2.0 -
Now the tube is removable, any broken filament can be removed easily.











Version 3.0 -
Let me try 3 color. It took me almost 2 days to design this. The Bottom left photo part was suppose to be a tool to cut the tube. It was never use. Then I thought it will be good to use as the reference for the 3 color junction. I was wrong.


Version 4.0 -
Version 3 flop, Now I know the window at the front is not just a good to have feature. It is a MUST have for troubleshooting while testing. Taking a step back to the previous 2 color design, I took some design and calculation to add a 3 one in. Surprisingly, it works well.








Currently, I am still testing with the setup to make the system more stable for the printing on my Ai3 printer. Follow me if you are keen to know more in future. Cheers.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Li-ion Batteries Adapter

Just to share with the 3D printing community a simple hack for Li-Ion Charger. The battery charger for my LED torchlight was broken and t...